onsdag 14. september 2011

A new Machine (part one)


Wombosi and me
Today is a happy day. Even I can’t stop smiling. Since I wrote the last time, quite a number of things have happened. First came the trouble. I had sent my Passport to the Syrian embassy in Berlin, from Bergen, already on the 15 of August, and thought it would be at my grandparents with Syrian visa, when I got there, but it wasn’t. On Tuesday the 6th I called the Embassy, and asked if it would still take long, but there answer was depressing. The passport hadn’t come to them at all. I had sent it registered, but I had thrown away the tracking-number, so I had to call the Norwegian Post, and ask them to look for it. They said they’d call when they knew more, but haven’t called jet.

Second problem was that I had no car, and as I have said earlier, I didn’t look forward to buying one. My main targets, the Defenders, were few on the market, and when I called, they were either sold, or not for sale to private persons. This left me with only one opportunity. There was one car that suited me very well, but the seller couldn’t say whether it was for sale, nor the price, since he sold it for someone else, whom he couldn’t reach. Even with nothing sure, I decided very spontaneously to go to southwestern Germany (close to Basel), visit some friends, and hopefully buy the car.

Birthdaybreakfast - Franziska and her parents
Hubert and Marion
After almost 9 hours train I got to the Kienzler-family in Schopfheim. Franzizka, a good friend of mine celebrated her 20 birthday on Friday, so the timing was good. The celebration was nice, and the Kienzlers are lovely and hospitable people. On Friday I also got a call from Pat Pfluger, a rover mechanic, who had helped me find the car. He said that the dealer finally had gotten in touch with the seller, and that the car was for salt for 7000 Euro.

Playing farmer. Picture taken by Phillip Kienzler
On Saturday, one of Franziskas friends, Eileen, drove me to the other Kienzler family. They have a farm in Buchenbach (close to Freiburg), and did the last “grass-harvest” that Saturday, so I was farmer for a day. I did a lot of traktoring, which was great fun.

*Christoph in the sunset at Buchenbach
Monday I left the Kienzlers very early in the morning, to finally get me a car. I took the train to Bühl, where the Pflügers live, and from there, Dani, Pats wife, drove me all the way to north of Stuttgart(2,5 hours driving). We looked at the car, and decided to buy. We loaded it on the trailer, and drove back to Bühl. There I got a license plate, and could drive it up to the Pflügers garage. In the afternoon Pat checked the whole car with me. We changed oil, welded the exhaust, and fixed some minor problems, all while Pat explained all the parts for me, and how I’d fix smaller damages. He also gave me a lot of parts, like a spare wheel, for free, and sold me some parts. I don’t know if Pat and Dani realize how much they helped me, but they really made the difference. Without them, I would never have known about the car, and would not be confident of it being ok. That Dani used almost a whole day, and Pat all evening to get me a car, and make sure it is in a good condition, and did it free of charge is amazing, and I am very grateful.

Schupphof, the Kienzler-farm
I have baptized my lovely Defender 110 Mr. Wombosi. I drove him more than 400 km yesterday, and he is a really good boy. Except for a leak from the “roof-window”, that I hope to get fixed, he runs fine. He’s from 1997, and has done 185700 kilometers.

On my way home yesterday I got great news. I called the Syrian embassy. They had got the Passport, and already issued a Visa, and even sent it to my grandparents, and believe it or not, it has come home, with a beautiful visa for Syria!

*Sunset in Buchenbach
As you can see I have every reason to be happy. People are so nice and helpful, and there are many I should mention, like Wiebke and Hans-Jörg Willig, but I think even this is to long for most of you. Now I’ll enjoy the last two days with my grandparents, buying all the food, medicals, tools and other equipments I still need tor the trip. Friday is departure day. I leave before 6 in the morning, because I have to reach a date I have with the ADAC in Munich at 10.00, for my Carnet de Passage.

*Tree, edited with fish-eye and color-reduction filters
on the camera
P.S: Jørgen, the pictures with a * are taken with my new soligor 24mm lens. It takes lovely landscape pictures=)




*Fern at Roudolphstein

Goodbye blue sky






Wombosi

12 kommentarer:

  1. Good to hear that all that praying for a car finally paid off=p God is good^^ Hope you won't have too many hiccups before you can start traveling.
    I'll keep on praying, hope to hear from you soon, bro=D

    SvarSlett
  2. Anreas: Thank you for the praying. God is indeed good. I think there are no more hiccups, and I'll be of on friday.
    Roger: Right you are.

    SvarSlett
  3. Trygve Toft-Eriksen14. september 2011 kl. 08:36

    Wow! Dette er fantastisk å høyre! Bønesvar til tusen. :-D Det er nok noko me berre må halde fram med.. Håper du får nokre fine dagar og ein fortreffeleg tur! Me sjåast snart :-)

    SvarSlett
  4. Jepp. Når du kommer, hadde det vært fint om du tok med deg CD-ene jeg la igjen i kjelleren. Bilen har visst CD-spiller, og jeg har ingen CD-er bortsett fra Greatest hits of Simon and Garfinkle, som jeg kjøpte i går.

    Gleder meg til Burgas!

    KOs

    SvarSlett
  5. Framifrå nytt! Flott at ting ser ut til å ordna seg. Har du starta på turen no? Ser fine ut bileta. Det går greitt med dei manuelle instillingane? Orsak eit noko knapt svar. Er litt tungvint å kommentere frå telefonen. No sit eg og Roger på Gardermoen. Snart startar me også a journey south, sjølv om dette nok vert ein light-versjon..

    SvarSlett
  6. Eg skal prøve å hugse det! :-) Det gjer eg og! Gratulerar med smadringa av L'pool :-D Gøy.

    Ha ein fin tur sålenge! Kos

    SvarSlett
  7. Det går fint Haaland.Manuell instilling er ingen problem. Jeg tar for det meste landskapsbilder med det, og da setter jeg bare fokusen på "over tre meter" lyset måler den selv, så det er nesten like enkelt som med auto. God tur.
    Trygve: Ja, så idag at gutta har kommet igang. Ade var ingen dum signering, og nå scorer jo selv defor igjen, så det kan bli en bra sesong=)
    Anonym: jepp!

    SvarSlett
  8. Kjekt at det fungerer bra! Kanskje eg også skal sjå litt på eldre objektiv då. Om dei fungerer bra er det jo utruleg mykje å spare..!
    Og ps. Du skal ikkje opprette deg ein Flickr - konto ein dag du har tid tilovers? Så kan eg bla gjennom blinkskota frå turen på ein rask og enkel måte :)?
    God tur vidare!

    SvarSlett
  9. Neste gang jeg har billig internett skal jeg skaffe meg en Flickr.

    SvarSlett
  10. Framifrå nytt! Flott med ny bloggpost! Er inne kvar dag for å sjå om det har skjedd noko nytt på reisa sørover. Alltid kjekt å kunne lese om progresjonen:)

    SvarSlett