lørdag 12. mai 2012

Breathe Reprise

 12.05.12 Bernstein (Marktredwitz), Germany

There is not very much to report about this week. I arrived here at my grandparents place tired but safely and on time on Sunday. Monday was my days of rest, while the rest of the week has been spend primarily in the garden, planting, watering, grafting and just looking at the trees and flowers, talking with my grandmother. Apart from the garden I have done some renovation-work in the house. We are at the moment in the destruction-process, so I have had the pleasure of taking apart furniture, removing wallpaper and so on.

It’s been a fairly good week with plenty of good weather. This place in Germany has been a constant in my life. We have come here every summer as long as I can remember, so there is always something special about coming here. There is a peace and sleepiness here that I enjoy, at the same time as I have the slight feeling of not doing anything, getting filled by stuff I don’t support, like TV. Anyways, I recon I should enjoy and relish the opportunity to still be with my grandparents. They are getting old. 

This is most likely not of interest for the most of you though, so I’ll get to the main thing in this post. It is time to think about all the people that have made this trip such a success. First and foremost (and traditionally/boringly) I thank God for keeping me safe and healthy. Also I would like to thank all of those that have prayed for me during these months.

Secondly I would like to thank the people that helped me in the preparation of the journey. Patrick and Dani, who are the reason I got Wombosi, and also have been available on the phone whenever I have had a car-related question. You have made a big difference to my trip, giving me a sense of security, knowing that help is there any time of day. My grandparents, who not just supported with money, but also helped me packing and organizing, and my father who sponsored the car and the deposit for the CdP and more.

A big thanks goes to the visitors I have had, starting with Trygve in Bulgaria and Turkey, Wiebke later on in Turkey, Roger in too many countries to mention, Mparany in Namibia and Daddy on the final part from Windhoek to Durban/Johannesburg. Having you with me certainly made a difference. I hope you enjoyed it as I did.

I have met too many people along the road to mention (or remember) all, but I would like to thank you all. Most notably my mates in Istanbul (Turkey) for a good conversation, Ragnhild and her friends in Amman (Jordan) for a bed, pizza civilized conversation etc , Said in Cairo (Egypt), Ahmed and Islam in Aswan (Egypt), giving me a safe place to live for amazing two weeks. The group that crossed the lake Nasser with me, Jeldau and Michael, the Danes and the bikers, and of course Jeremy, who not just was a great support in the crossing and in Wadi-Halfa, but whom I had the pleasure of meeting over ten times in total, surviving grim Sudanese “police”, carrying the bike in Wombosi, waiting for Congolese visa and experiencing the power of the weather in Tanzania.

Thanks to my family in Addis giving me a good Christmas. The friendly man in Boma (South-Sudan) who was like a salvation for me and Roger coming out of the wilderness after two days of sweating in forty degrees, who gave us a place to camp for free where we had showers and all. Margo who hosted us in Juba (South-Sudan) and Ekke and Hendrik who did the same in Kampala (Uganda). Sonia and the other girls in Kisoro (Uganda), giving us a different evening with singing and playing and conversing for hours. Jack in Kigali (Rwanda), letting us camp on his lawn. Monde with family in Lusaka (Zambia) not just letting me sleep on their grounds, but spending the evening together with me around the campfire. Morne in Ongwediva (Namibia) for having me around his office for a whole week. Tracy being very friendly and helpful in Durban (south-Africa). Thank you all for the kindness that you have shown.

I think that also my friend Jørgen (Haaland) deserves to be mentioned. If there would be some kind of best blog-reader/commenter-prize, this prize would certainly go to you Jørgen. Also, thanks to the rest of you reading this blog. Sharing my experiences and knowing that someone cares has maybe been more important to me than to anyone.

All of you that have been forgotten here are remembered. This is the second to last Post. I will give you a last report in a Week when I am back in Bergen, before this blog takes a break for some time, until there is some other crazy adventure coming up.


5 kommentarer:

  1. Velkommen tilbake til Europa HC! Og takk for "utmerkinga":) Det har vore ein fryd å lesa om turen din på bloggen. Ein god plan B for oss som ikkje kom oss nedover.
    Eg får heller satse på å bli med litt på neste tur i staden. Etter at fyrste langturen vart slik ein suksess rekner med at det er muligheter for at dette ikkje er siste gongen du dreg på tur?

    SvarSlett
  2. congrats!! you did it.
    the 11th time we meet will take a bit more time than the first 10 but will come for sure !
    enjoy your motorbike now!
    jeremy

    SvarSlett
  3. Haaland: Det skal nok bli mange flere eventur fremover. Utmerkingen har du fortjent!
    Jeremy: Thank you. I guess it does become a bit harder to meet the 11th time, but all of the sudden we will be in the same part of the world again.
    The motorbike is enjoyable, the weather has not, but there is little to do with that. You seem to be progressing well. Now when I read you blog, I curse myself a bit for not doing Zimbabwe. It would have been special. Enjoy your further ride, and good luck with your shipping.

    SvarSlett
  4. Det gleder meg å høyre at det blir fleire reiser! Kjem det ikkje ein "attende i Noreg"-post snart? Eg treng sårt noko som kan, om enn berre for nokre min., ta tankane mine vekk frå eksamenslesinga:)

    SvarSlett