søndag 6. november 2011

Red skies at night

Wiebke making dinner

Adana 06.11.2011
I just left Wiebke at the airport. The last week has been an absolute highlight, even though I have had some minor health issues. I had a terrible night where my stomach sent some food it did not enjoy right back where it came from, and yesterday I managed to burn three of my right-hand finger quite badly on a spoon. Still I feel fit and ready for the next task – Syria.

Mmmmandarines
Most of you don’t know who Wiebke is, so I’ll give you a brief introduction. Wieble is a German school-teacher and globetrotter, who moved to Hamarøy (northern Norway) in 2000 and worked at the same school as my father for over a year. That’s how we got to know her. When it comes to travelling, I am still a newbie, compared to Wiebke. Among her deeds, is a bicycle-trip from Southern-Germany to the North-Cape and back via Island - alone.

A cold morning
After a day at the coast in Antalya we quickly left the group tourist and headed into the mountains. We had some lovely days on our way to Göreme, the heart of Cappadocia. The absolute highlight was sleeping in a cave in the Ihlara-Valley.

In the Ihlara-Valley. Our cave in the right-hand corner
I got to admit that Cappadocia has some impressive landscape. But as so many of the really beautiful things, Cappadocia is crowded. If you want to see Turkey, don’t go to there. If you want to meet friendly Turkish people (who don’t just see you as potential money in their pocket), try driving from, say, Develi, through the Taurus-Mountains on small roads. Then you’ll get the opportunity to pull a Turkish minibus up a hill, try to communicate with old-fashioned Turkish hunters who invite you to drink tea with them or purchase fruits and vegetables from handsome village-girls in baggy pants.

Almost like Africa
Especially the tea-tradition is something really nice here (it might be the same in India, but there I’ve never been). Everyone offers you tea, and usually for free. To decline an invitation to drink tea is almost rude (you need a good reason to say no), and even if buying a carpet, you have to drink tea. First you drink tea, then you deal, after you have sealed the deal, you drink another glass (in Turkey you drink tea out of glasses).

Two other things that are typically Turkey are honking and Ataturk=)

I'm in love with my car
Before Syria, I have to do service on Wombosi, meaning that I have done my first 10000 km. Today is Sunday and feast, so I’ll wait until tomorrow with that, and on Tuesday I’ll be entering the cave of the lion.

When it comes to Syria, I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I have a lot of respect for the current situation; on the other hand, I am anxious to have this fantastic country and people all by myself. How long I stay in Syria depends on the political situation, and the availability of fuel.

Wieble with hunters (the one to the left in baggy pants
Evening in the Taurus-Mountains


In Amman (Jordan), Ragnhilg Soligård, a friend from Framnes awaits me, so I’ll be in good hands, and report back from there, latest in a week. 

3 kommentarer:

  1. Toll! Macht immer super Spaß zu lesen, was du alles erlebst. Wir freuen uns, dass es dir gut geht und denken viel an dich.
    Sophie

    SvarSlett
  2. Hei! Fint å høyra frå deg att. Inspirerande å lesa og sjå Hans. Eg håpar alt går i orden for deg gjennom Syria. Det skal eg i allefall be om. God tur vidare Hans! Helsa Ragnhild :-)

    Klem*

    SvarSlett
  3. Freut mich zu hören Sophie. Denke auch viel an euch, und natürlich meine Buben
    Trygve: Sorry sent svar. Alt gikk vel, og nå står Afriken for tur...

    SvarSlett